Whether the Hamster belongs to the whole family or just to your toddler, its health is a crucial concern to you. And this tiny, naughty thing’s poop is an indicator of its health condition.
So what does Hamster poop look like? The dropout’s entire portion is separated into smaller components that are black or brown in color. And these are the ideal characteristics of the poop that ensure the pet’s good health.
What if the poop’s characteristics are unusual? Why does the pet’s poop have an unusual look and texture? Let’s find out throughout this post.
What does Hamster Poop Look Like? [Ideally]
A healthy hamster’s poop would be
- Firm and tender
- Segregated into smaller components
- In most cases, have sharp edges at both ends of the separated components
- Have no or almost no odor
- Be dark-colored (black or brown)
However, the portion varies in proportion to the size of the hamster; a larger hamster consumes more food, and the extract size is also comparatively larger.
Unusual Characteristics and Look of Hamster Poop
Okay, now you know the look of a healthy hamster’s poop. What should you consider unusual? What are the characteristics and look of an unhealthy hamster’s poop? We point this out below.
- The extract color is green or white
- The hamster is coming out with runny poop
- The poop size is larger than usual
- There is a smell coming from the poop, and you can sense it
- The frequency of pooping is quite high
In-depth Analysis of the Unusual Cases
In this section, we look at the underlying causes of the five unusual scenarios mentioned in the previous section and potential solutions.
1. Poop Color is Light
In general, if your hamster is unhealthy, its extract will have a green or white color (green is the most common). The possible causes are listed below.
- You feed it too many green vegetables
- It is suffering from diarrhea
- The food is lacking in nutritional value
- The pet’s digestive system is infected
- Your hamster is undergoing medication like antibiotics
- Other common causes are freezing temperatures and poor hygiene
Below are actions you should take to restore back its healthy condition.
- If the poop is green, keep an eye on it for two days while feeding it fewer green vegetables. If the color remains green, consult with the vet immediately
- In case the poop is white, you should not delay taking it to the vet; there is surely an infection in its metabolic system
2. Runny Poop
If your hamster’s poop is runny (wet tail), it undoubtedly has diarrhea. Below are the most likely root causes of such an occurrence.
- The pet might have an infection like influenza
- You feed laxative foods to your pets, such as cucumber, tomato, lettuce, and so on
- Lack of hygiene and cold weather
To address your hamster’s diarrhea, you can apply the below-listed approaches.
- Feed it dry foods and avoid watery vegetables for 2 days
- Frequently change the water
- Feed it leaves from the raspberry bush, arrowroot, etc.
- Keep the cage warm and clean. Remove the extracts more frequently from the cage
If there is no improvement within 48 hours, consult the vet.
3. Larger Poop Size
If you notice that the pet’s extract portioning is higher than usual, this is a less worrying context. The poop size gets bigger for the reasons below.
- You are feeding it store-bought food, and it is not habituated to that
- Its food is rich in fiber (triggering faster digestion)
- You have just brought it home (it is not familiar with the surroundings; it is stressing you out)
By applying the below approaches, the poop portioning becomes normal within 2 days. If not, you should contact the vet.
- Avoid feeding store-bought foods. If you can’t avoid it, change the brand
- Feed it with low-fiber foods
- Reduce the quantity of vegetables and cover up the cut with dry foods
- Give it time to feel comfortable in your house and with your people
4. Smelly Poop
Hamsters poop throughout the day and night, but the scats’ smell should not bother you. Ideally, you won’t be able to sense the smell. But if the smell is strong enough to make you notice it, the causes are below.
- There is some irregular growth in the gastrointestinal bacteria count
- The diet is rich in fat
- It is suffering from diarrhea
We have already mentioned the solutions if you identify them as being due to diarrhea (runny poop). For the other two reasons, try the below resolutions:
- Avoid fatty foods; go for fresh fruits, vegetables, and water
- Avoid store-bought foods
- Restrict it from eating foods like popcorn, bread crumbs, etc.
- Add more comfort to the cage
5. Pooping more Frequently
Well, it is Hamster’s characteristics. Still, the frequency can be increased due to the following reasons:
- It is still new in your room (house)
- There is a guest in your room
- It is stressful due to sudden changes in the house’s (room’s) inside or outside environment (interior change, noisy outside, etc.)
Take it normally, and give the pet a few days to adjust to the new surroundings. If the frequency doesn’t come back to normal, take it to the vet.
It’s okay to be puzzled, in this section we’ll discuss some of the most common queries people have regarding the matter!
Q: What does dwarf hamster poop look like?
It is small, dark in color (dark brown or black), firm, divided into separate portions, and has edges on both sides.
Q: Is hamster scat toxic?
Hamster poop is not toxic. Still, sometimes it carries some bacteria (like Salmonella), which can make you feel a bit of abdominal pain or a fever.
Q: Why is my hamster’s poop a light color?
The very basic reason for such a thing is that it might be suffering from diarrhea.
We know your Hamster’s health matters to you, hoping our in-depth analysis of what does Hamster poop look like, will help you substantially. Noticing unusual patterns, keeping the cage clean and comfortable, and changing the diet help resolve the problems.
Take it to the vet in the worst cases, like when you have taken all the measures but have seen no improvement. We just want to mention one thing here: though hamster poop is not harmful to your health, you should wash your hands after cleaning.